The Children’s Coalition of Aransas County, a 501(c)3 nonprofit public charity organization, was born of Hurricane Harvey. A group of children’s ministries directors and community leaders got together to address the child care needs in our hurricane ravaged community. Camp Harvey, a temporary child care program, was created. We provided free child care for approximately 50 young children in the weeks immediately following the disaster. When child care centers in our area began to reopen, Camp Harvey closed its doors – but our work was just beginning. Since then we have worked hard to meet the emerging needs of children and families in Aransas County.
- We area requesting agency for the Care Portal, a system that connects local churches with families in need.
- We coordinate with other local organizations to provide direct assistance for families in need.
- We provide child care subsidies for working families in need.
- We provide financial and technical assistance to local child care centers so that they can expand and improve their programs.
- We host a large annual conference for early childhood educators that features nationally-known speakers.
- We offer special assistance and support for those who wish to open and operate family childcare businesses in their homes.
- We coordinate free community events for families.