The Children’s Coalition of Aransas County, a 501(c)3 nonprofit public charity organization, was born of Hurricane Harvey. A group of children’s ministries directors and community leaders got together to address the child care needs in our hurricane ravaged community. Camp Harvey, a temporary child care program, was created. We provided free child care for approximately 50 young children in the weeks immediately following the disaster. When child care centers in our area began to reopen, Camp Harvey closed its doors – but our work was just beginning. Since then we have worked hard to meet the emerging needs of children and families in Aransas County.
- We are now a requesting agency for the Care Portal, a system that connects local churches with families in need.
- We provide child care subsidies so that parents can get back to work and feel comfortable that their children are in good hands.
- We provide financial and technical assistance to local child care centers so that they can expand and improve their programs.
- We provide tuition assistance, workshops and other training opportunities for professionals who work with children.
- We coordinate free events for kids, such as Trick or Treat at the Beach, Easter at the Beach and the Kids Zone at the Harvey Anniversary Event.